Q : What types of work needs a Building Permit?

A : Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any required impact-resistant coverings, electrical, gas mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permits.


Q : What are the requirements for a construction?

A : Copies of the following:

1. State registration or certification.

2. Municipal contractor’s occupational license or certificate of registration.

3. Certificate of Competency.

4. Certificate of insurance:

a. Liability with no less than $100,000 per accident or occurrence for bodily injury and $25,000 per accident for property damage.

b. Must show name of insurer, type of policy issued, policy number, date of inception and expiration, type of insurance, and that no changes or cancellation of the insurance shall be effective without thirty (30) days written notice by registered or certified mail.

c. Permits will be issued to the contractor with a notarized signature from the owner or his agent who acknowledges the affidavit statement on the permit application.


What makes up a complete Building?

For most scopes of works, a completed building permit application and 2 sets of plans.


What is an inspection?

The inspection card will list all inspections required for a particular job. Inspections are performed by the City inspectors at various intervals. It is the responsibility of the contractor/ owner to call for the inspections. The permit and the top portion of the permit inspection card must be displayed on the job site. In order to avoid a re-inspection fee, make sure that the site is ready to be inspected, all required documents available and access to the inspection site.